June 13, 2011

Chris delivers his 1st baby! (and other news)

Good evening! It's been a pretty hot day here so far, although in the evening there are sometimes a few more cool breezes to enjoy. So here are some pictures from the various activities of the last few days. The first was a program for the volleyball and soccer teams that have competed this year. The young people that participated received certificates and applause as we looked on and checked out their table full of trophies. After the little ceremony we all enjoyed some Haitian food together. The next few pictures are from Saturday, when Chris and I were able to accompany Cory on a banana distribution. The men loaded up the back of the truck and we drove a ways down the road, handing out a banana plant to each house that had not already gotten one. Cory showed them a few pictures and some information about the specific kind of plant it was. Cory said that this is the fun part, and it really was! It was interesting to stop by people's houses and talk to people we'd never seen before and get a small glimpse into their everyday lives. The picture with all the kids is from a kid's program at the church...one of many that have been happening lately as graduations and end of school parties and programs are going on. We went to one such program in Port Margot yesterday, which turned out to be a party, in which we were introduced, asked to say something to the kids, had a fan plugged in and pointed only toward the blancs, and then ate beans and rice with about 100 kids and parents! Wow. If there is one word that comes to mind for this trip so far it is, Humbling! People here always seem to treat us as guests of honor, even if we have done absolutely nothing for them, just shown up! I came here thinking, I need to find ways to help these people, to encourage them, to help change their situations for the better. And while that isn't necessarily bad, I am learning that trying to make a Haitian's life more like a North American's not only doesn't work very well, but isn't the right approach. The people here have so many gifts and talents and are definitely being used by God to do His work. Despite their difficulties they lead children and adults, praise the Lord, and bless US as best they can. This has led us to really pray for wisdom about how to minister to not only Haitians but people in general. In a book I've been reading (When Helping Hurts) the author talks about approaching poor people with the attitude that, we are both broken, needy individuals who need a Savior and need to grow. Instead of, I have to fix you and make you more like me, because I have the answers and the best way of life! Again, it's been humbling. There is so much we have to learn. As we read books, talk to people, and spend time trying to think of ways to help while we are here, we are continually humbled to prayer asking for direction and for God to show us where He is at work.

I, Chris now, was very busy in the clinic yesterday (Sunday) with Dr. Kris. We were called out of church a few minutes before it ended to go see a woman who was in labor. It was her first. One of the medical things I wanted to do while in Haiti was deliver a baby and I thought this might be my chance. So I asked Kris if I could and she said she would come back down to the clinic and help me. So we hurried up and changed clothes and I glanced at a midwifery book that had the bullet points and we went back to the clinic. It was a perfect delivery. It really went well... well, from a doctors stand point. The mother who was in labor for 11 hours before coming to the clinic may have a slightly different view. So I was the first person to lay hands on a beautiful baby girl...awesome! And God granted a safe delivery. The experience gave me a little jolt of excitement to continue my medical training...thanks Lord. Little did I know that as Kathleen and I were getting ready for bed Jean-Pierre would call to me from outside my window and tell me there was another woman in labor. This was ten thirtyish. Well, I hurried up and waited. This time I didn't have Dr. Kris to pass the time with. She usually spends the time telling me medical stories and teaching me... tonight it was the haitian nurse, Miss Ermadine, the pregnant mother (who kept calling me doc - I kinda liked it), and two of her friends. I missed about 90% of the conversation, but it was still a great learning experience. After taking the baby's heart rate and mom's BP several times and almost falling off a stool asleep I got to catch my second baby for the day at 3:45 am... a healthy "gason" a boy. Thanks again Lord. This lady was a riot though. She was singing and humming hymns right up until the final push. Awesome opportunity to learn and a great reminder to why I am glad I am not a woman!!

2 comments:

  1. YEAH for good deliveries and babies! I do think that to round out your OB experience you need a yelling mom! Singing is not normal nor the quiet mom earlier in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you all are having a great trip and what an amazing experience, chris! blessings to you guys as you continue your time there! we're praying! love you both!

    ReplyDelete