June 26, 2011

Hello again :) It is Sunday afternoon and I am sitting in front of our ventilate (fan) wishing for a venti latte (frappacino) after taking a little snooze. So it has been about four days since our last update and it is four days from our departure... time flies. Kath and I have been up to a couple of different things. It is hard sometimes to write about the days because they all seem kinda similar when you are here. The medical aspect of our trip has been great. This past week I spent a lot of the time with the Haitian doctors seeing patients and doing exams. While I may not learn as much as when I am with Dr. Kris, we can't communicate at that level, I still am able to get hands on experience with patients. It has been fun to take full histories, do the full exam, and send for labs without too much help from the doctors. Of course they are looking over my shoulder the entire time, but it has given me a real confirmation that Family practice is where I want to be. I get to see little 6 month old babies with malaria one minute and a 90 year old guy the next who is complaining of body pain. It has been a great experience.
All this time with the Haitian doctors has resulted in a pretty good relationship with them. On Friday Kathleen and I joined them for lunch in the medical house. It was great. If you have read the blog before you know I love haitian beans and rice. Well, Friday was no exception, but it had an added zest of aged hot peppers in a questionable looking container that was brought to me when I told them I like things spicy.
Its still pretty warm here. I am not going to lie...I am looking forward to some a/c and icecream. But we have had two solid thunderstorms that have lowered the humidity and made it actually cool at night (mid 70s). Thank you Lord!
Yesterday we along with the Thedes and the team were able to go visit houses of the area surrounding the compound and take pictures of the families. We are trying to compose a sponsor program, linked to kids in the Sunday afternoon kids program, in which families who support the club through their church in the US can adopt a family in Haiti to pray for on a regular basis. It was a good but tiring experience. Many people were receptive to the idea and were glad to have their picture taken. The power of prayer outweighs what any monetary sponsorship could offer. One home had 22 people living in it... crazy! because it was a twenty by twenty one story house made with woven wood and mud. Our Haitian leader, Jean-Pierre, shared the message of Christ's love with two families who had not yet accepted him! It was a great opportunity to be apart of something bigger than ourselves.
Today has been filled with a visit to Port Margot church by ourselves and a very long kids club. It was a great day, but I am culturally exhausted right now. Thanks for your prayers and I hope you have a great week. Okay we have been trying to get pics but they won't load...probably my computer. If you want some pics here is Kris and Cory's blog: www.portmargot.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment