June 9, 2011

A few more days have gone by and we have settled into a little routine. It will only last about one week, since there is a team coming next Wednesday, but it's been quite a familiar week as we've taken up a similar routine as we had last year! Chris has continued to go to the clinic each day this week and it has been an interesting experience as each day brings in a different mixture of ages, sicknesses, and conversations with the patients. He has mostly been shadowing Dr. Kris, and spent one morning with Dr. Jean Pierre (whose English has improved, which Chris is grateful for) One unique thing about this clinic is that Dr. Kris is able to talk to the patients about their faith and pray with them. This has been a really good experience for me (it's Chris now ;) because it has gotten me thinking about how I want to shape my practice and how I want to impact my patients. Many times in Haiti the doctors do the best they can with what they have and the rest is up to God or chance or whatever the patient believes in. Often what the doctor has is very limited in Haiti, but I know I will run into the same problems in the states. There never will be enough tests and cures. No matter what I do as a physician people will become ill and every one of them will die at some point. This sounds very pessimistic I know, but I am thinking about how as a Doctor I can make the visits they have matter and the knowledge I have mean something. Do they leave my office hopeful or hopeless? I may not have the answers, but I believe that the christian church does and it is Jesus. I hope to be able to integrate my faith into my practice in a way that encourages my fellow believers, but challenges them to live a life in the best way we know how. Dr. Kris asks people if they attend church and if so she will talk with them about the choices they are making and whether they line up with what God wants for them. That's great. And for those who aren't Christians I am equally excited to be their doctor if not more. Not so that I can force something on them, but so that I can provide the best care possible and be someone they can trust in those trying times. So to sum it up I am learning a lot.
We have settled back into our Haitian life. After a little more than a week we have seen many of our friends and old students. It has been fun to reconnect. Kathleen and I have again been able to teach English... but not in a classroom setting. People will ask us if they can visit and practice their english with us. Most of the time they don't show up, but sometimes they do. The pic to the left is of a kid named Walfy who has been bringing his school books to ask for help with English. Most of the time it is just helping with pronunciation. It is neat to make people so happy by just reading aloud or correcting their "th" sound (which is the hardest sound for Haitians to master).

This morning Kath and I went with Cory and Gener to Limbe to deliver about 75 banana plants to a Wesleyan church there. We also are delivering another 75 this afternoon to homes a couple miles from the compound. Cory is try to get the more bug and disease resistant plants out into the community so their value can be recognized.
It is a lot hotter today than it has been. The sun is pouring out all its warmth.... and making me sweat! Its not terrible but it is warm. Fans are high on the list for all time best inventions in my book. Well that is all for now. We will have to write more later about the celebrations we have been attending, but I have to get this hot computer off my lap :) Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment